Wednesday, January 17, 2018

i have been experiencing something new....as you know....i have been publishing mixed media tutorials on YouTube...i have over 60 videos published and the response has been amazing!  a question is...'why?' such a good question...'why am i teaching mixed media online?'  i am not sure i have a good answer for that, other than...it has just happened....in the process of 'doing the next right thing' the mixed media/altered book videos have been born and my little fledglings are testing their wings and flying.  i am only responsible for my part in this....i make mistakes, i don't make mistakes...it is all part of the process...the part that i seem to have forgotten is that...the more i put myself and my art out there?...the more i put myself out there for people to comment....both supportive and critical....but....as any artist can tell you...'i do not have a choice...i must create and share....otherwise...i will become stale, stagnate and eventually my heART will cease to exist...so....David Whyte says it better than i can....i remain humbled...as it should be.


“A true vocation calls us out beyond ourselves; breaks our heart in the process and then humbles, simplifies and enlightens us about the hidden, core nature of the work that enticed us in the first place.” 
 David Whyte

5 comments:

  1. That’s so beautiful and true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sherry....we can't help it....we are artists, right? miss you!

      Delete
  2. Your instructions are complete and interesting. On top of it, you have a nice voice to listen to. If a particular lesson doesn't apply or interest, it is very easy for someone to move onto the next one.

    It is hard to put yourself out there. The criticizers are just unhappy nasty people that have to make themselves feel important somehow. If someone has an easier way of doing something, I'm sure you would be open to suggestions (or links) as we are all continually learning and experimenting as true artists.

    You are a natural teacher. Don't let the a*holes effect your psyche. Keep doing what your doing... you rock.

    PS, There are no mistakes in art, just learning experiences for how you would do it different next time. Art is not physics or engineering where there is a set equation. You cannot have accidents, good or bad, without the attempt. As you know, happy accidents can make the best art.

    Sincerely,
    Stephanie Aune :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh stephanie....you are a treasure....my thoughts exactly! we have no choice...we have to create, learn and share...or our spirits will shrivel...see you very soon!
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. I had to do a bit of soul searching too as to why I was putting my art on line and doing tutorials. I decided that I was a teacher first and foremost in my life, teaching prep to grade six in the education system, them moving on to teaching original sculpted porcelain dolls. Then moving into spiritual counselling and teaching self empowerment. And now back in full circle teaching art on line once more. Often have days where I go why am I doing this, for as you say you can spend a whole day filming and editing a process, which can slow down the art time you have for yourself. A few artists are posting stuff about why they are doing it, and how they have to cope with negative criticism I have not had that yet, not sure how I would cope. Ego would take a blow and react badly I think lol. Please keep on doing what you are doing and as you go along maybe you could put together an online course of some kind to sell. There is a platform called teach which a lot of artists seem to be using, maybe it's something you could explore. I would pay for a course with you, and so would many of your fans. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting my blog...i love comments!!!